Friday, November 13, 2009

Setback

McKenna did have her therapy on Wednesday, but she still had a little runny nose. Thursday and today her nose has been running horribly again. Every time she gets sick it seems like it takes for EVER for her to get over it. My brother Evan checked her pulses (per-TKM energy method) tonight and told me to apply a #17 sequence on her. I just finished doing that and she was breathing and sleeping easily.

I've got to try to do more TKM on her. Watching Jimmie go through 2 viruses in 2 weeks and do absolutely amazing has made me jealous for McKenna. The only explanation I can see is that he gets TKM applied 3 or 4 times a week! He's a 5 1/2 month old (adjusted age) 24 week preemie for goodness sakes and is kicking my daughter's full term 2 year old booty in how he's handled sickness.

McKenna being sick for "going on" 2 weeks now has set her back with her speech. She has reverted to lots of frustrated "uuuuuuuhhhhing" and whining.

She did not do bad with therapy on Wednesday, but she was very reserved, shy and self conscious again. She kept looking insecurely back at me before she'd try to speak and she hid her face in my shirt a few times. Ms. T. picked up on everything immediately and was very sweet and sensitive with her. McKenna also spoke in a very high voice or almost a whisper a lot of the time. Nothing breaks my heart more than seeing my 2 year old daughter insecure like that. I really really hate that part of this whole issue. A 2 year old should not be having this sort of angst!

Today she did better and I was able to remind her when she was "uuuuuuuhhhhhing" to use her words and she would. Tonight she started trying to tell her baby doll "night night" as she was going to sleep. She worked at it until she got "ni ni bebe" and then she very excitedly said that over and over and over and then for some reason she lost it. She started saying, "bebo" for "baby". It upset her and she kept trying and trying to get it back. She would get "bebe" and then try the "ni ni" and either the "ni ni" would turn to "ni mi" or the "be be" would turn to "bebo". It was sad and I could see the confusion and frustration in her face. She did smile about it and keep trying though. I think she said it right twice and then stopped and fell almost instantly asleep.

Ms. T. has noticed as have I that when McKenna decides she wants to say something on her own she will work really hard until she gets it right- or at least close and then she drill it herself by saying it over and over and over. She literally gets stuck like a broken record. It's interesting though because most experts do believe it is through "drilling" that kids with Dyspraxia learn to speak. So she innately does what she needs to do. It's like she's trying to create a groove in her brain for each new word or each new 2 word combination.

The other thing we've noticed is that periodically during therapy and at times when we are trying to get McKenna to say something she suddenly completely "checks out". Her eyes stare off, but not seeing and she is perfectly still, almost frozen. Then she snaps out of it and makes speech attempts again. Ms. T. doesn't think it's anything to worry about, but she wants us to sit very still and quiet when McKenna does that and wait for her to come back. Ms. T. describes it as "computing time".

Ms. T. wants us to put McKenna on fish oil. I have some here and I'm going to start making her slushies and sneaking it in. (-: I know one of you "M" anynomous posted about starting her on fish oil as well. I'm excited about how this might help her brain.

Thank you for your prayers!

Love,
Amber

P.S. Bronwyn I emailed you back. I can't find your comment?? I would love Elliot's web page. It would be nice to start linking other blogs about kids dealing with Dyspraxia. Try commenting again or email me back!

1 comment:

  1. amber, i will pray that you can find the time to do more tkm on mckenna. i hope that helps her fight off being sick! and i think that the fish oil is a great idea.
    i pray for kenna every night. i'm glad that she's making progress, however slowly it may seem, every little bit is a step forward in the right direction.
    love you!

    ReplyDelete