Friday, November 6, 2009

Sick



McKenna got sick Halloween night. She didn't sleep much Saturday night. Sunday afternoon and all night long she ran a fever close to 102. Monday night she ran a fever as well. Now she has lots and lots of snot and a mild cough. Poor baby.

Consequently we had to cancel her speech therapy this week. )-: We were all pretty bummed about that. Ms. T. said we will try to make it up though by having 2 sessions in one week.

McKenna has still made progress this week! Cole has been telling "knock knock" jokes all week. So Kenna has worked very hard on "knock knock". It usually sounds like "Knock guck", Then she'll say, "who who"? For "who's there?" (-: It's crazy cute!

She is saying "please" all the time now. It's basically the word she now uses to ask for anything. I'd rather her attempt to say the object that she wants, but "pease??" is better than "uuuuuhhh". She says it so sweetly and it's so polite it's hard to ever tell her "no". 0-:

She's been really in to helping me in the kitchen this week as well. Everything- cooking, loading the dishwasher, cleaning the floors- she wants to be right in there hands on. Yesterday she helped me cook dinner and when it became clear to her it was done she went into the living room and proudly called Cole in to dinner. She very clearly said, "Cole eat!" Cole and I were so excited! She acted very nonchalant about it though. I really am loving her new level of confidence about her self and her ability to communicate. She is really blossoming from a quiet, frustrated and embarrassed little girl to confident, determined and sweet. She has gained a sense of humor about herself and her speech and most of the time is able to laugh with us at her mistakes instead of clamming up in embarrassment. I am so thankful!

Thank you for your care and prayers!

Love,
Amber

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry she got sick, Amber! I'm praying that everybody else stays healthy!

    That's great that her speech is progressing well. What a blessing!!

    Love,
    Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea! for kenna. Sorry she got Jimmies cold (or was it the same thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. go kenna girl, go! i am glad that she is working on things on her own. that's wonderful. i bet it's a wonderful feeling to watch her blossom. it's emotional for ME, and i'm just her cousin! :)
    i hope that she gets completely over being sick. not fun!!! and, thank you, by the way. i had to give you a hard time about not posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last Wednesday I dropped by on my way to work. Ma was keeping them. As I was leaving Kenna said very plainly, "Bye bye Pa!" That's 3 correct words in a row!

    ReplyDelete
  5. See I do read all the blogs too! I hope Kenna is feeling better. I love that she is making so much progress. What a good little kitchen helper you have there! Hannah and Josie love to cook, they just don't like the clean up part. I guess they get that from me.

    ReplyDelete