Sunday, February 1, 2009

Pray for McKenna (Sunday, Oct. 21st 2007)

Friday morning as I was changing McKenna's clothes-- to my horror I noticed this big cyst/tumor like thing under her right armpit on the side of her chest. I rushed her up to the doctor and they were not sure what it was-- so they sent me to Children's Mercy Hostpital for an ultrasound. The doctors have called and they think she has a very rare congenitial defect of her lymph glands. It's called a lymphangioma. The good news is it's not life threatning. The bad news is it's pretty obvious and they think it may require surgery-- especially for cosmetic reasons. I've asked questions like--"Will it grow back if it's surgically removed?" "Will she get more in other places on her body?" "Will it get bigger?" "What is the cause?" "Could it go away on it's own?" All the doctor can say is-- I don't know-- this is really rare.

So you can imagine-- Dave and I are in complete shock. When I dressed her for bed the night before it was not there. We have an appointment to meet with a pediatric surgeon on Wednesday morning. I am not AT ALL ready to cut into her though. We are going to do a lot of TKM and pray and hope it resolves itself.

I am very grateful that it is not harmful-- although I'm still unsure how the docs could know that with only an ultrasound, but for now I'll trust... Even though it's not harmful physically-- it could be harmful psychologically to her when she gets older. You don't want your child to have to deal with something like that. Also we just have no idea what the future may bring since this is so rare. Of course I don't want my beautiful daughter to have a deformity that everyone would stare at etc... But-- even though I'm battling fear about it-- I do have a lot of faith that it could resolve itself through prayer and TKM.

I know you all will pray!

No comments:

Post a Comment